The TTC Story: The First Seventy-five Years
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Looking back over the past 75 years, there is no doubt that public transportation has played a major role in the development and maturing of Toronto and its metropolitan area. Indeed , despite the fiscal challenges facing it, the TTC today remains a transit agency with an enviable reputation.
The TTC Story:The First Seventy-five Years, by Mike Filey, features over one hundred magnificent black and white images selected to illustrate the principal "transit" event in each year of the TTC’s existence. The photographs have been selected from the Commission’s vast archival collection by its knowledgeable archivist, Ted Wickson. Each event is fully described and put into its local, national, and worldwide historical context through the use of entertaining and informative text.
within the boundaries of three different municipalities: the City of Toronto, Village of Swansea, and Township of York. On the east side of Jane north of Bloor Street is Pius X Separate School. Four years after this photograph was taken, the new Jane station on the first extension to the Bloor-Danforth line opened its doors to the travelling public. The station is located on the northeast corner of the Bloor/Jane intersection. TTC PC-315 DM Aerial view looking north to the busy Bloor Street
years the TTC purchased 125 new trolley buses and twenty-eight second-hand vehicles; fifteen from Cincinnati, Ohio, eight from Cleveland, Ohio, and five from Ottawa, Ontario. In 1968, after a successful pilot project that involved installing rebuilt electrical equipment from bus number 9020 in a new bus body (which later became number 9200), an additional 151 trolley buses underwent similar rehabilitation during the period 1970-73. Body shells were supplied by Flyer Industries. The remaining
Flyer/TTC “rebuilds” began to show their age by the late 1980s and, with their ranks thinning due to major electrical failures and poor body condition, the trolley coach fleet was augmented by forty relatively modern trolleys leased from Edmonton, Alberta. The remaining active Flyers were withdrawn from service in January 1992, mothballed, and finally scrapped in 1993–95. TTC 15791 DM Original trolley coach number 9020. 1972 This stately residence was built in 1822 on the north side of Duke
“99s” (roving equipment mechanics in the subway) will be issued a portable plug-in diagnostic kit when attending repair calls on the T-1 car. Six production model cars arrived later in 1995 and underwent exhaustive acceptance testing. In March of 1996 the first T-l train began several months of in-service testing. Deliveries will accelerate with another eighteen cars due in 1996 and approximately sixty-five cars arriving each year between 1997 and 1999. TTC/PS TW Artist’s concept of the
number 16 (built in 1874), open motor number 327 and open trailer number 11 (built by the TTC in 1934 as replicas of the original number 327 and number 11), car number 306 and trailer number 64 (number 306 was built in 1892 and typical of the first electric streetcars to operate in the city, and number 64 was built in 1879), a large Witt (typical of 250 similar vehicles), double-deck bus number 1 (first bus acquired by the new TTC in 1921), White bus number 17, Charabanc (typical of privately